Side dishes are important but I feel they are neglected a lot of the time. Is it just me? I actually tend to forget all about sides when I cook and it’s a shame! Rice is a perfect side dish for so many meals and you can flavor it to fit with any dish. What we have here is turmeric basmati rice.
Basmati is a long grain fragrant rice that almost always comes out perfect whether you cook it on the stove or in a rice cooker. It already tastes buttery on it’s own, but this rice dish in particular is a bit cheesy due to the nutritional yeast. Fluffy, buttery, tender and aromatic. Are you ready for the recipe?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cups water
- parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat up the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute the onions until translucent. Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add in the garlic, basmati rice and all of the seasonings. Continually stir for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the water and lower the heat to simmer. and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the 15 minutes are up, do not lift the lid! Remove the pan from heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes are up, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.